"I never did quite fit in the glamour mode. This life with my husband and family, that is my high right now." ~Patty Duke

March 07, 2011

Whole wheat banana muffins


I try to keep these kind of things on hand in the house for snacks for the kids. They love them, and I figure it is way better for them than the prepackaged varieties we can buy in the store. I always make muffins or breads like this in my mini muffin pan just because they eat them better that way. You can always use a larger muffin pan or even a loaf pan though if you like.

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I like the mini chips)
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or can use applesauce)
1/4 cup milk
1 cup mashed banana (about 3 large)
1 - 2 tablespoons wheat germ

Mix dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips) in a large mixing bowl. Combine all wet ingredients (egg, oil, milk, and banana) in a separate bowl. Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. Sprinkle in wheat germ. Add up to an additional 1 - 2 tablespoons of milk if the batter seems too dry. The batter will be lumpy.
Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees until brown and spring back when touched. (For the mini muffins, it takes about 15 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment