"I never did quite fit in the glamour mode. This life with my husband and family, that is my high right now." ~Patty Duke

March 15, 2011

Golden Granola


This is another staple recipe in my house. I usually keep some made and sitting on the counter for use as cereal, yogurt topper, and even ice cream topping. It is really good, and by far the best homemade granola recipe I have ever come up with.

4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup flaxseed
1/2 cup sunflower seed
1/2 slivered almonds (or other nut you have on hand, I have used pecans and walnuts as well)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice (we like cranberries, blueberries, or golden raisins best)

In a saucepan, cook oil, brown sugar, honey, water and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the first eight ingredients, the oats through cinnamon. Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 275 for 1 hour until golden, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely. Stir in dried fruit. Store in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment